DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: At **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. (BIDMC), our goal is to provide extraordinary, patient-centered care supported by world-class education and research. The generosity of our patients, families, and friends makes it possible for us to carry out our mission.
BIDMC is seeking dynamic professionals to join its growing Development team as we are in the quiet phase of a $750M Campaign. Under the leadership of CEO Dr. Kevin Tabb and Chief Development Officer Kris Laping, BIDMC s fundraising has doubled within the past five years. As one of the nation's preeminent academic medical centers we are committed to excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and education and have recruited world-class leaders, researchers and physicians who are working with Development to raise philanthropy to new levels. We seek creative, entrepreneurial, and innovative staff within the office of Development to help us attain our goals. See more at ****This is a per diem (4 hours per week) internship opportunity.
JOB LOCATION: Boston, MA
REQ ID: 24762BR
JOB SUMMARY: The Development Research Associate Intern will assist the Prospect Research team to satisfy the administrative and analytical needs of the hospital's Development Office and its ambitious fundraising goals. This internship will provide a well-rounded introduction to nonprofit/healthcare development strategy, operations, and research (with an option to include statistical analysis and fundamental, real-world analysis projects). In this role, the intern will assist with preparing biographical sketches, asset information, and philanthropic insights to help fundraisers remain engaged with the most compelling prospective donors. The intern will also evaluate, improve, and enter data according to the Development Office's data entry and management practices. The intern may be invited to assist with a host of other activities and responsibilities insofar as these further the mission of the Prospect Research team and help the hospital achieve excellent fundraising results (with an option for intern-initiated project work).
* Work daily in tandem with Prospect Research analysts to improve our access to helpful and timely information germane to gaining fundraising insights.
* Review lists of prospective donors to assist with prioritization.
* Write brief or extended biographical sketches to include analyses of asset information.
* Investigate the potential for new sources of information and for new electronic resources to yield valuable data.
* Enter useful data into the Development Office database and help to maintain the database's accuracy.
* High School diploma or GED required.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Strong written communication skills.
* Ability to display creativity, exercise sound judgment, and demonstrate initiative.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is one of the nation's preeminent academic medical centers. We are committed to excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and education and to the health and wellness of our patients and our communities.