Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
The Research Grant Specialist works with principal investigator to complete and submit federal and non- federal grants and serves as the liaison between department or research groups and sponsored research funds administration, accounting, and finance departments. This role generally performs all Pre- and Post- award administrative functions, including, but not limited to, ensuring internal documents are prepared and routed for signature and processing, monitoring grant accounts, tracking all expenses, providing grant and financial reconciliation, and research-related financial reporting. Ensures compliance with all internal policies, federal and local agency requirements including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and local Institutional Review Board.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Works with principal investigator to complete and submit federal and non-federal grants.
• Works as the liaison between department or research group and sponsored research funds administration, accounting, and finance departments.
• Generally, performs all Pre-and Post- award administrative functions.
• Ensures internal documents are prepared and routed for signature and processing.
• Monitors grant accounts, tracks all expenses, provides grant and financial reconciliation, and research-related financial reporting.
• Monitors Time & Effort for accurate reporting and performs necessary funding corrections via direct cost transfer requests.
• Responsible for grant close out.
• Identifies opportunities for research funding opportunities.
• May negotiate budgets for clinical trials.
• May assist with research participant billing.
• Ensures compliance with internal policies and procedures, all federal and local agencies including the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and local
Institutional Review Board.
• Maintains research practices using Good Clinical Practice (GCP) guidelines.
• Maintains strict patient confidentiality according to HIPAA regulations and applicable law.
• Participates in required training and education programs.
DEPARTMENT AND/OR UNIT SPECIFIC – ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works in the centralized Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute Research Administration Office to support the overall research portfolio at SOCCI. In conjunction with the SOCCI Academic/Research Director and/or SOCCI Academic/Research Managers, is responsible for developing a comprehensive system for monitoring research project fiscal health and compliance.
• Assists with resource and coverage planning.
• Identifies opportunities for improving efficiencies in the pre- and post-award administration of SOCCI sponsored funding portfolio.
• Assists with development of Standard Operating Procedures related to pre- and post-award administration.
• Assists the SOCCI Research Administration Office on other activities as assigned.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities
Specialty research certification preferred.
• Three to five years (3-5 years) minimum experience in administration of research grants, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills and solid understanding of federal and major funding agency grant submission guidelines.
• Experience working with multi-PI proposals.
• Experience with preparation of general grant submission components, including the preparation of progress and financial reports.
• Experience with preparation of scientific manuscripts and abstracts.
• Knowledge of general accounting and financial analysis required.
• Knowledge of expense tracking software required.
• Knowledge of Peoplesoft strongly preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop and related software applications required.
• Proficiency with eRA commons, grants.gov, NIH RePORTER, Federal Reporter, and other related proposal submission systems.
• Demonstrated ability to create and utilize Excel spreadsheets, or databases, for data tracking and analysis.
• Ability to identify problems and resourcefulness to resolve them independently using own initiative.
• Able to handle multiple tasks, some with short timelines, to organize and prioritize work, and to complete assignments in a timely, accurate manner.
• Ability to work independently, set priorities and handle multiple tasks requiring attention to detail.
• Ability to interact effectively with staff members at all levels of the organization.
• Must be highly organized, patient, persistent, and require minimal supervision in execution of assigned tasks.
• Experience in a basic laboratory environment or a sponsored research office strongly preferred.
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job functions. Duties will require walking throughout the Medical Center.
Have you updated your profile lately? If not, please click Edit Profile link at the top of this page.
Since its beginning in 1902, Cedars-Sinai has evolved to meet the healthcare needs of one of the most diverse regions in the nation, continually setting new standards in quality and innovation in patient care, research, teaching and community service. Today, Cedars-Sinai is widely known for its national leadership in transforming healthcare for the benefit of patients. Cedars-Sinai is one of the largest nonprofit academic medical centers in the U.S. with 886 licensed beds, 2,100 physicians, 2,800 nurses and thousands of other healthcare professionals and staff. Clinical programs range from primary care for preventing, diagnosing and treating common conditions to specialized treatments for rare, complex and advanced illnesses. In addition, Cedars-Sinai serves the community through its Medical Network, which includes the highly rated Cedars-Sinai Medical Group and Cedars-Sinai Health Associates Cedars-Sinai has consistently been named one of America’s Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report, has received the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award 18 years in a row for providing the highest quality medical care in Los Angeles, and has the longest running Magnet designation for nursing excellence in California. Cedars-Sinai is a leader in the clinical care and research of heart disease, cancer and brain disorders, among other areas. Pioneering research achievements include using cardiac stem cells to repair damaged hearts, developing minimally invasive surgical techniques and discovering new types of drugs to target cancer more precisely. Cedars-Sinai also impacts the future of healthcare through education programs that encompass everything from highly competitive medical residency and fellowship programs to a biomedical science and translational medicine PhD program, advanced training for nurses and educational opportunities for allied health professionals. Most notably, Cedars-Sinai demonstrates a longstanding commitment to strengthening the Los Angeles community through wide-ranging programs that improve the health of its most vulnerable residents.