United Way Worldwide
The Director of Resource Development raises support for and advances United Way’s mission of improving lives by sustaining and growing relationships which lead to leadership level and major gifts, both through engaging individuals as well as developing donor communities. The Director plans and manages the cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of donors and prospects in workplace and non-workplace sectors.
S/he builds upon our philanthropic success by leading the organization’s work related to growing individual donor engagement and support, including the development of new affinity groups. Additionally, this role strengthens United Way’s long-term sustainability by developing a pipeline of loyal donors who will maintain United Way high on their list of philanthropic priorities throughout their lifetime, including relationships that transition to endowment support and planned giving.
This outward facing, results-oriented role will require the candidate to be a high-energy and inspiring leader who has the demonstrated ability to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships. The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional professionalism and discretion.
· Set direction for and achieve annual and multi-year revenue goals and performance targets.
· Leads planning and execution of sponsorship opportunities from identification to recognition.
· Monitor and manage all incoming gifts, ensuring smooth receipt and acknowledgment processes, as well as the overall collection and reporting of pledged assets. Ensures personal solicitation of gifts, tracking, and follow-up on outstanding gift commitments occurs.
· Recruit, manage, train, coach and engage division chairs and volunteers by setting goals and supporting their efforts to drive results in their roles for United Way. This includes but is not limited to training, joint visits and the solicitation and closing process.
· Plan and manage the cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of donors and prospects in the workplace and non-workplace sectors.
· Manage all campaign and donor relations programs, projects and tasks.
· Develop and track key performance metrics to ensure the major gifts program is operating effectively.
· Develop donor communities and implement donor recognition and stewardship programs.
· Collaborate with Marketing to create communication materials, tools, and events for the cultivation and recognition of existing major donors and prospects.
· Cultivate and grow positive, productive relationships with board members, volunteers, community and business leaders, investors, stakeholders, senior officers, and fellow employees to influence and advance the mission of the organization.
· Generate weekly reports showing overall giving and engagement progress, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions.
· Perform weekly check-ins with donors, volunteers, board members, potential donors via phone or in person meetings and document progress on a weekly basis.
· Works to meet/exceed expectations focusing on organizational results.
· Assume additional duties and special projects as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent is required. Master’s or other advanced degree preferred.
· Four or more years professional work experience in fundraising, development, sales, communication and/or public relations capacity required. Thorough working knowledge of relationship-based fundraising procedures and philosophies.
· Excellent negotiation, analytical, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
· Must understand the importance of building life-long relationships between United Way and its donors base and friends.
· Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with all levels of management and staff, as well as external stakeholders required. This includes public speaking and presentation skills, (cultivate selling approach preferred), and other significant approaches to generating revenue.
· Excellent listening skills, with the proven ability to solicit information from others.
· Proven project management skills, including the ability to multi-task and balance multiple projects in varying degrees of implementation.
· Proven ability to create, grow and retain strong donor relationships.
· Proven ability to build strong collaborative relationships across organizations and work cooperatively and flexibly as part of a team.
· Ability to use software(MS office suite Excel/Word and donor database) and other technology to manage data and compose reports.
· Superior writing skills.
· Ability to interpret and create computer-generated reports to analyze data.
· Strong ability to connect with corporate leaders, including in the new economy.
· Demonstrated ability to set goals and objectives and the ability to apply this skill to United Way goals.
· Success achieving ambitious grant funding goals in a competitive, fast-changing environment.
· Deep familiarity with both the nonprofit sector and the funding landscape.
· Experience with new business development and the creation of compelling recognition strategies.
· Experience in sales/marketing with an applied emphasis on customer relationship building.
· Strong ability to define and execute on action plans.
· Ability to take initiative and be creative in thinking and solutions.
· High-energy, outcome-focused individual with a positive “can-do” outlook who can manage ambiguity and change.
· Ability to inspire others to make meaningful philanthropic investments.
· Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
· Regular (2-3x/week) travel.
· Ability to work early/late.
· Access to vehicle for frequent out-of-office meetings.
· Proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid driver’s license and automobile insurance are required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The person in this position needs to be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery,etc.
· Constantly operates computer and other office machinery.
· The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of incumbents. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
United Way Worldwide
Website : https://www.unitedway.org/
United Way Worldwide is the leadership and support organization for the network of nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 41 countries and territories. At United Way we work to advance the common good by focusing on education, income and health. The United Way movement mobilizes millions to action—to give, advocate and volunteer—to improve the conditions in which they live.