New Museum of Contemporary Art
Major Gifts Officer
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) serves as a frontline fundraiser for many New Museum donor councils. The MGO will be responsible for building and maintaining donor relationships, and increasing annual support by cultivating a significant portfolio of prospects. The MGO must be a strategic and creative thinker with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. S/he will manage the Museum’s Art Study Tour (AST) program, and organize dynamic programming for several donor councils. S/he must also possess the ability to understand, anticipate, and fulfill needs and interests of major donors in order to develop deeper relationships between them and the New Museum.
Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the MGO will work closely with the Museum’s Director, Chief Advancement Officer (CAO), Board of Trustees, senior management team and programmers across the Museum. S/he is supported by a Development Associate, Individual Giving. Areas of Oversight
• NM Council Membership: Be an accessible primary point of contact for several New Museum Councils including the Contemporary Council, Producers Council and Council for Artists Research and Residencies. Meet annual fundraising goals for these Councils; steward and cultivate a robust and desirable Council community. Manage all Council programming and supervise all benefit fulfillment. Collaborate with the Membership Department on upgrade strategies and joint programming that supports the giving continuum for upper-level members and donors.
• Donor Events: Develop and implement a quarterly calendar of extraordinary events and distinctive programs for Council members. Ensure extremely high quality events which resonate with New Museum mission in collaboration with Curatorial department. Oversee event staffing and execution.
• Travel Programming: Organize, plan, and escort international and domestic Art Study Tours (AST) in collaboration with the Major Gifts team, CAO, Museum Director and curatorial departments. Manage several Art Study Tour (AST) expense budgets and meet annual revenue goals.
• Donor Stewardship: Maintain relationships with donors and prospects via regular phone calls, personal visits, written correspondence and personalized emails. Communicate details of all Museum programming for donor participation and engagement. Document donor meetings and interactions with accuracy, timeliness and confidentiality. Participate actively in planning and strategy development.
• Budgeting and Reporting: Analyze and present regular revenue reports to the Director of Major Gifts and Chief Advancement Officer. Supervise invoicing, acknowledgement, recognition and proper documentation for all donor areas listed above. Qualifications and Requirements
The Major Gifts Officer is an achievement-oriented development professional with a proven ability to solicit and close gifts from individuals. S/he must be a team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three to five years’ experience in not-for-profit fundraising, with several years focused on major gifts; excellent communication skills in written and oral presentation, as well as strong strategic and operational management skills. S/he will have experience with museum travel programs and event planning. The MGO will have the ability to perform under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment; the ability to multi-task, establish priorities and react when those priorities shift. S/he must be able to attend evening events as required. Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Raiser’s Edge or comparable donor database program is essential. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in soliciting gifts of $5,000 and greater; s/he will be detail-oriented with the ability to manage projects from inception through execution. Knowledge of contemporary art and the international art community is essential; ability to work productively with diverse constituencies is necessary. To Apply
Please send a cover letter detailing how the candidates’ experience meets or exceeds the position requirements identified above along with a professional resume and salary history (electronic submission preferred) to:
New Museum of Contemporary Art
Major Gifts Search
New York, NY 10002
email@example.com No phone calls or solicitations please. Due to the volume of applications anticipated, only those candidates that most directly meet the requirements of the position will be contacted. About the Museum
Founded in 1977, the New Museum is a leading destination for new art and new ideas. It is Manhattan’s only dedicated contemporary art museum and is respected internationally for the adventurousness and global scope of its curatorial program. In 2007, the New Museum made history with the inauguration of its first permanent building at 235 Bowery designed by the Tokyo-based firm SANAA. Since opening in its new location, over 3.8 million have visited or attended programs and events, and the Museum has presented 90 exhibitions with 500 artists from 60 countries around the globe, and 650 public programs ranging from live performances, conferences, residencies, screening, after-school programs, and family days. The New Museum has a current operating budget of $13.2 million and approximately 120 full- and part-time employees. For more information about the New Museum and its programs, please visit www.newmuseum.org. The New Museum of Contemporary Art believes that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity and we do not discriminate against our staff members or applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, sex, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran or citizenship status provided they are qualified and meet the requirements for the job.
New Museum of Contemporary Art
Job Location City:
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip:
Job Contact Email:
Fundraising Day in New York 2018
Learn about Fundraising Day in New York 2018. View now>