Purchase, NY, United States
Executive, Manager, Fundraising, Nonprofit
Director, Data Philanthropy
The Center for Inclusive Growth is the philanthropic hub at Mastercard. The organization seeks to ensure that the benefits of an expanding economy accrue to all segments of society. Through research, responsible data philanthropy, programs and strategic engagement, the Center addresses the dual challenges of income and information inequality to advance equitable and sustainable economic growth and financial inclusion around the world. The Center’s work is at the heart of Mastercard’s objective to be a force for good in the world.
The Director of Data Philanthropy is responsible for driving the Center’s data partnerships and grants and for leveraging internal and external analytical resources to produce cutting-edge knowledge and insights. S/he will lead engagement with data scientists, research institutions, non-profits and other relevant organizations around the world to accelerate progress on the Center’s themes of inclusive growth, democratizing productivity and helping people prepare for the future of work. S/he will also lead and manage the Center’s data fellowship program, data insights team and various internal partnerships – including with volunteer data scientists. Finally, the Director will help set the strategic direction for the Center’s data philanthropy initiative; oversee and improve upon the internal data grant-making process, making it replicable and scalable; and contribute to Mastercard’s global leadership on responsible data philanthropy.
• Work with the Center’s Vice President for Research and Insights to achieve the objectives for Data Philanthropy: 1) strategically deploying Mastercard’s data and analytical expertise to position the Center as a global thought-leader on inclusive growth; 2) building internal partnerships to produce practical and compelling data-driven insights for the Center, Mastercard and other stakeholders; 3) strengthening and managing a network of experts on the cutting-edge of data science; and 4) shaping the conversation around responsible data philanthropy
• Build and maintain strong relationships with internal Mastercard partners, such as Advisors, legal (including Privacy & Data Protection counsel), content, marketing and communications to advance evidence-based research that is amplified to global influencers
• Build and manage relationships with external data scientists and researchers from think tanks and top academic institutions to support their understanding and use of Mastercard’s data-driven insights for projects that align with the Center’s inclusive growth mandate
• Enable researchers to leverage Mastercard’s data-driven insights using existing grant-making processes while building upon and refining those processes
• Design and manage data-based research projects from start to finish: defining the project, setting up the legal contracts, establishing privacy and data protection controls, identifying analytical support and ensuring appropriate pre-publication review
• Produce thought leadership related to ways data philanthropy can produce insights on Inclusive Growth
• Project management of multiple research initiatives, which involve using Mastercard’s data insights and internal expertise, or a combination of the two
• Manage and work closely with NGOs and internal data scientists on projects that support a non-profit’s development and use of their own data insights
All about You:
• Familiarity with and passion for solving the world’s biggest economic challenges through data science
• Proficiency working with different statistical programming and database querying languages, machine learning algorithms and modeling
• Strong understanding and experience with analytical processes relating to data
• An understanding of the academic research process, statistical analysis and data aggregation and anonymization
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally in a matrix organization
• Excellent analytical skills and understanding of economic development
• Ability to think creatively with data
• Experience in data science, data visualization and the application of data science principles to social impact outcomes
• Ability to translate complex information into actionable insights
• Strong project management, organization and problem-solving skills
• Good understanding of global privacy and data protection principles and standards
• Self-motivated and capable of working independently in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent English oral and written communication skills
• Advanced degree preferred
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact
and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Everyone wants easier ways to pay;
we invent them.
Checkout lines are slow;
we speed them along.
Merchants want more sales;
we give them data and insights.
People need financial access;
we connect them.
Corporate purchasing is complicated;
we make it simple.
Commuters are busy;
we speed them on their way.
Governments need greater efficiencies;
we help create them.
Small businesses are virtual;
we give them access to a world of buyers.
Retailers want to fight fraud;
we provide the tools.
Website : http://www.mastercard.com/index.html
MasterCard is a technology company and payments industry leader. For more than four decades, we have been a driving force at the heart of commerce, making the global economy safer, more efficient, more inclusive and more transparent for all. Consumers, merchants, business partners and governments in markets around the world have reaped the benefits of our innovative products and solutions which, simply put, are designed to make life easier.