Iowa State University
Special Instructions Summary
Development/ Fundraising Internship
Advertised Employing Department
Iowa State University Foundation
Base of Employment
Full or Part Time
Proposed Start Date
Proposed End Date or Length of Term
June 30, 2019
Number of Months Employed Per Year
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
The Iowa State University Foundation offers a one-year, part-time internship program in institutional development designed to provide hands-on experience in the fundraising field. The program offers an opportunity to work with a team of talented professionals while enhancing fundraising knowledge and expertise, preparing you for a rewarding career in philanthropy.
The internship is funded through an endowment which honors Robert and Jean Watson. Robert retired from the ISU Foundation as associate vice president of development and had a passion for developing new talent to the field of higher education fundraising.
Research Project – 2018/19
Work with our Corporate Relations and Student Affairs fundraising teams to research and review corporate diversity and inclusion initiatives with current and future campus partners. Create a strategic plan for corporate engagement based on diversity and inclusion initiatives and partnerships with Iowa State University.
Collaborate with units across the organization
• Prospect development team – exposure to this group will allow you to learn more about methods for research and analytics.
• Planned Giving and Annual Giving – unique fundraising segments which allow the foundation to engage alumni and friends from graduation through estate planning.
• Frontline Development Officers – accompany development officers on local calls to have a better understanding of how development officers conduct the business of the foundation.
Participate with ISU Foundation teams.
• Enthusiastically assist with foundation special events and activities as needed.
• Volunteer to participate in ad hoc teams and committees when applicable.
• Enthusiastically and vocally support development in the foundation among internal and external staff and audiences.
• Participate in public celebrations of the successes of other development colleagues and their units.
• Assist in efforts to promote the ISU Foundation’s reputation as an industry leader.
Required Education and Experience
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree required; pursuing advanced or professional degree preferred
• Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills
• Desire to pursue a career in non-profit or higher education development/fundraising
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, and funding representatives from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds
• Competency and experience Microsoft Office or similar software applications, email and Internet
• Demonstrated ability to be highly energetic, motivated, self-starting and creative
• Ability to travel locally
• Creativity, patience, a sense of humor and a belief in our organizational mission of: Aligning donor passion and generosity to advance Iowa State University’s land grant ideals.
The internship is anticipated to start in July 2018 and end June 30, 2019. The internship will be 25 – 30 hours per week (flexible schedule) at $15.00 per hour; no benefits are offered.
Preferred Education and Experience
Pursuing advanced or professional degree preferred.
Department/Program & College Description
About Iowa State University and the Ames Community
The Iowa State University Foundation has a successful history in fundraising and is in the midst of a $1.1 billion comprehensive campaign. This position will join a high-performing team of more than 130 who are excited to enrich Iowa State University through public and private support. The ISU Foundation has been acknowledged from multiple publications as a top place to work.
Department Contact Name
Department Contact Phone
Department Contact Email
Location (if other than Ames)
This vacancy is posted for the ISU Foundation. It is not an Iowa State University position.
To apply, visit our Careers page on our website and include the following items:
• Cover letter with salary requirements
• Three professional references’ names and contact information
Review of applicants will begin immediately and proceed until the position is filled. Candidates recommended for employment are subject to a background investigation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Guaranteed Consideration Date
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal and state law, ISU policies/procedures, and may include the completion of a background check and/or a consumer credit check.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Default Template - Affiliates
Iowa State is an international university with a friendly welcoming personality. Students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries come to Ames, Iowa, to choose from 100 majors, study with world-class scholars and hone their leadership skills in 800-plus student organizations. Iowa State offers a great environment where students can enjoy reaching their potential and discovering their passions.